Your leather jacket is something that should last you a lifetime, particularly if it is of the good quality. The more you take care of them, the longer they are going to be with you. This is the rule of life, things last longer if you take good care of them. When we talk about leather jackets and their musty smells, there is one thing that we are tired of. NO matter how much detergent and after wash soaps and serums we use there is no way they are getting out of our jackets.
Leather jackets are something that we all wear quite frequently, attracting different smells is no surprise for any of us. There are tens of places we pass or walk by wearing such jackets so getting their smell on them is something that we all expect. However, following a few steps you can bring a change in your leather jacket and get rid of the lousy smell from it. Nobody likes to smell bad when they go out, and investing in a new jacket all over again just because your old one is kind of smell is not a smart move.
So, here we will be explaining how you can remove that musty smell off your jacket.
If you are a rain lover and get cold easily it is almost impossible to get in the rain without wearing a jacket. However, getting a mildew smell is a must happen thing which is a pretty common issue particularly when the jacket is old or vintage. The best way to get rid of this smell is to sprinkle a few drops of vodka and vinegar.
Here is how you can do that.
- Add some vinegar or cheap vodka in a spray bottle.
- Spritz it all lightly on your leather jacket.
- Get a light mist only we do not recommend drenching the jacket.
- Dry the jacket out in the sun.
- Do not forget the follow ups to ensure the jacket is not cracking.
Spraying vinegar all over your jacket may sound weird and little out of the fashion however they work pretty well. The vinegar acid levels out with pH and deal with all kind of the weird and dusty smells. Once the jacket is dry, both the musty and vinegar smell with evaporate so you will not have to worry about smelling like a dumb vinaigrette.
Most of the leather jackets are lathered with the cigarette smell due to the habit of people smoking while being out in the cold weather. Teenagers often look for the ways to hide their smoking habit from their parents but the smell on their leather jacket often give them away. Or sometimes when you shop from thrift store, the smell on the jacket just stays.
No matter where the smell is coming from, taking it off is one important task. Following are a few steps that can help you get rid of this lousy smell and wear the fresh jacket again.
- Get a big zipper or airtight bag where you can fit your jacket.
- Add one or two dryer sheets in the bag with the jacket.
- Its better if you add more dryer sheets in the bag along with the pockets.
- Leave the bag intact for a few days and for better results you can replace the dryer sheets whenever needed.
Alcohol or Vinegar Spritz
If you do not have dryer sheets with you, you can always use vinegar or alcohol spritz to get the smell out of the jacket.
- Fill up the whole bottle with the cheap alcohol or white vinegar.
- Mist your jacket with the mixture.
- Hang it.
- Use a conditioner to keep the leather jacket softness in place.
BO smell is pretty stubborn and need a strong and sturdy mixture that can help you remove this smell off your jacket. There is one thing that you must know is that you should clean it from inside and outside both in order to ensure you are cleaning the jacket all over again. Moreover, all the other kinds of the body odors should also be removed from the jacket either by deodorizing the jacket or you can simply just wash the jacket off. Washing it is quite simple as all you need to do is mix the water with the mild or simple laundry detergent. You must know that the liners of your leather jacket can be washed before you try all the below washing methods.
- Take four cups of water and add one tablespoon of detergent in it.
- Dip a cleaning sponge in the solution and take out all the excess material.
- Dip your jacket in the mixture.
- Use the damp sponge to wash off the lining and make sure you are treating the armpits and other BO areas with extra care.
- If you spill any mixture on your jacket, make sure you are cleaning it right away.
- Once you are done taking out the BO, deep clean the sponge and the bowl.
- Fill up the bowl with the clean water.
- Take the clean sponge, dip it in the fresh water and now clean the jacket lining with it.
- Hang the jacket out to dry.
Water and Baking Soda
Water and Baking soda is another quick fix for your jacket that can help you get rid of the irritating and lousy BO.
- Turn your jacket inside out and bring out the dry surface.
- Sprinkle the soda on the lining and be careful of the BO areas only.
- Add warm water in the spray bottle and sprinkle it over the baking soda.
- Do not drench the jacket lining.
- Leave the baking soda for 20 minutes at least.
- When the jacket is finally dry, clean the baking soda with clean water.
- Hang the jacket.
Your jacket is all ready to be worn again!